Tuesday 31 May 2016

Upper body six-week challenge

Update on the upper body challenge...

I started a six-week challenge mid-April for upper body exercises and wrote about it here. I am pleased to say that I've now successfully completed the six weeks, although will come clean and admit that I did have a few odd days where I wasn't able to do the set of exercises (where does time go to some days?!)

At the end of the six weeks I now feel I'm sitting up straighter and my posture has improved in general. However, I also feel that as with most things, this is a work in progress - I would definitely benefit from a few more weeks of the exercises and perhaps make them slightly harder exercises. There are a few ways to measure posture, none of them great, but one of the simpler things to do is place your back against a wall and see if your head, shoulders and low back touch it. I found this article explains how to do this fairly well.


Which exercises were used?


Read on to find out..

Shoulder-W exercise


I discussed the shoulder-W exercise in my previous post. I definitely found this one the most difficult due to weak lower traps and overuse of my neck muscles. I found with time and repetitions I could move my arms more with less visual use of neck muscles. This one is definitely a work in progress as I believe I've had years of over-using neck muscles and have generally been quite weak in my shoulders.


Scapula (shoulder blade) setting



  • Gently squeeze the shoulder blades together - keep this tension throughout
  • Hold the theraband shoulder width apart, move hands away from each other so the band goes on tension - keep this tension throughout
  • Action is to move the arms up to shoulder height and return to the start position
Reps = 3 x 10


Sounds easy? Try it and find out

When teaching this in the clinic setting I tend to find the shoulder blade squeeze eases off when the arms start to raise up. I also tend to find with the shoulder blade squeeze the shoulders will also raise up, which will put too much tension on those upper muscles.

As discussed above, I find when I perform the exercises that my neck muscles over-work as I lift my shoulders up, so another point to watch out for.

Below is a suggestion of what not to do...rounded shoulder and head forwards. Watch out for setting yourself up correctly - it's always better to do less repetitions of quality exercises rather than more repetitions in the wrong position.




Chest stretch with theraband





  • Start with the theraband around your rib cage, holding both ends
  • Gently squeeze the shoulder blades together - keep this tension throughout (are you noticing a theme with this?)
  • Keeping the shoulder blade squeeze, straighten your arms and then bring them out wide. Return to the start position
Reps = 3 x 10



Shoulder external rotation with theraband or small hand weight



  

  • Lay down with one arm hanging over the side of the bed/plinth, placing a rolled up towel under the upper part of the arm so it's well supported. Hold onto a small weight - I used 1kg
  • Keep the upper arm still, move your hand up so the forearm is parallel to your body
  • Return to the start position 

Reps = 3 x 10

Below is what the position would look like without a towel to rest the upper arm on - it causes the shoulder girdle to become too rounded.



Shoulder shrugs






  • Lay down with your back resting on the bed, lifting your hips up to the ceiling
  • Arms are pointing straight up to the ceiling, holding onto a light weight (I used 1kg)
  • Keeping the elbow straight, move the whole arm up towards the ceiling (the shoulder of the side being moved will come away from the support)
  • Return to the start position
Reps = 3 x 10 times


Thoracic extension with foam roller





  • Lay down with the roller along your spine, arms out to the side
  • You can feel a lovely shoulder stretch with this
  • Stay there around 5 minutes


So there you have it, the exercises I've been doing for the past six weeks. As you can see I started off with very light weights, this was to ensure I was doing the correct technique and working on the smaller, endurance muscles. I'm giving myself a break from the challenge, but may return to the exercises later and increase the weights used.


Thanks for reading!



Photos courtesy of E. Arshamian, Director and physio of Fortitude Physio





No comments:

Post a Comment